During the late 1960's, Bobby Hutcherson recorded three studio LP's as a member of the very fine Gerald Wilson Orchestra, which during this period also included tenor saxophonists Harold Land and Hadley Caliman (more from Caliman in a future post). So this setting ties in neatly in featuring Hutchersons' choice of saxists before and after the excellent Manny Boyd.

Gerald Wilson (arr); Dick Forrest, Steve Huffsteter, Alex Rodriquez, Bill Mattison, Bobby Bryant, Gary Barone (tp); Frank Strong, Lester Robertson, Thurman Green (tb); Mike Wemberly (bass tb); Anthony Ortega (as, fl, alto fl); Ramon Bojorguez (as); Harold Land, Hadley Caliman (ts); Richard Aplanalp (bari); William Green (fl, pic); Henry DeVega (reeds); Bobby Hutcherson (vib); Phil Moore III (p); Jack Wilson (p, org); Joe Pass (g); Buddy Woodson, Stan Gilbert (b); Carl Lott, Frank Butler (d); Hugh Anderson, Moses Obligacion, Hugh Anderson (perc)
Everywhere (Caliman)
Out of this world
Pretty polly
M. Capetillo (Land)
Little bit of soul (Caliman)
Do I love you (Land)
Del Oilvar
Mini waltz
http://www.mediafire.com/?0sv68h5wa3z4y3a

Thanks Steve, I'm always interested in hearing more Caliman.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Boogieman
excellent record, thanks a lot Steve!
ReplyDeleteThis is one big hot biscuit! So good I played it twice, Cheers!
ReplyDeleteThe music you've chosen in all your posts is awesome. Unfortunately, I am sure that your turntable runs at least 10% too slow, consistently in all your rips. That's a pity. You might want to check an LP against a CD for comparison, or use a speed calibrator to test it. On slow passages that speed error is very obvious in terms of key and tone.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to add that I had a closer look at the speed and it is pretty exactly 9% too slow. No need to rip again though, using SoX for example you can correct the speed digitally. This requires decoding of the MP3, so if you did this to your lossless originals it would be much better. :-) Some insight:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67431
Regards, ig
It's me once again. The music you posted is so good (thank you by the way! ;-), I decided to check the speeds in detail. By comparing the times on the LP sleeves were available (thanks again for the photos!), the 9% speed up corrected the rips pretty well, and I think they sound more "natural" that way, especially Fender Rhodes and Saxes.
ReplyDeleteThere are a few LPs which have the correct speed though, which are:
THE KAZUMI WATANABE QUARTET - MILKY SHADE 1976 / MIKIO MASUDA - MOON STONE 1977 / DOUBLE IMAGE 1977 / STONE ALLIANCE - MARCIO MONTARROYOS 1977 / MATRIX - IX 1976 / DAN WALL - SONG FOR THE NIGHT 1980 / GEORGE OHTSUKA - MARACAIBO CORNPONE 1978 / MARTIN KRATOCHVIL & JAZZ Q - TIDINGS 1977 / DAVID PRITCHARD - CITY DREAMS 1979.
Of those without times on the sleeve, these I believe are OK as well:
THE SIMEON SHTEREV QUARTET 1978 / THE JOHN PAYNE BAND - BEDTIME STORIES 1975 / JOHN STUBBLEFIELD - MIDNIGHT SUN 1980. The others without times sound better speed corrected to my ears.
Regards, IG.
Thank you guys for the appreciation, and to IG your advice is invaluable, speed correction is something I have overlooked as part of the transfering process,your analysis and advice is greatly welcomed,thanks.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much!
ReplyDeleteFantastic ! on the blogsphere, this is the share of the month, for sure ! First time I see this one in my life ! Thank you !
ReplyDeleteVery impressive and helpful precisions, Anonymous ! thank you ! We were all listening to a quarter tone lower Kind of Blue for more or less 50 years 'till they edit a right pitched version of it !
(BTW, I do not know if VLC can correct the speed while reading ! Need to check it out !)
Always glad to see some Gerald Wilson posts. He had incredible fast in sidemen over the years. Thanks.
ReplyDelete