I'd like to further endorse the talent of George Cables, on this occasion switching to electric piano, on which he seemed quite comfortable with on many artists' recordings during the 1970's. 'Jazz Patterns' or more suitably 'Joe Henderson live at the Lighthouse part 2', is made up of three tracks not issued on the original milestone label LP of this live date at the Lighthouse Cafe, Hermosa beach, California 1970. The line up is cracking and the music especially 'What's mine is yours' ( Power to the People) just thrilling.
Joe Henderson - Tenor saxophone
Woody Shaw - Trumpet
George Cables - Electric piano
Ron McClure - Acoustic & electric bass
Lenny White - Drums
Invitation
Lofty
What's mine is yours (Power to the People)
http://www.mediafire.com/?w1aqynxbh11j7xu

I've been looking for this for ages - THANK YOU! These Lighthouse recordings must be among the very best jazz club dates of that time. The recording qual. is not as good as the Milestone set but, as you say, the performance is superb, especially on Power To The People (an upgrafe to flac anyone?!). Thanks again.
ReplyDeleteLooks a treat! I'll have it for breakfast, cheers Steve!
ReplyDeleteI've always enjoyed both men's work, and have been listening to Henderson quite a bit recently, but I don't think I've ever seen this particular recording. What label is it? I can't wait to hear it! Thank you.
ReplyDeletethanks Steve :)
ReplyDeleteI can't find anything on the internet about George Cables' death. When did he die?
ReplyDelete2bad, I read in the liner notes on the cd version of the Why Not recording that George passed away on June 29th 2008,but after looking into it,George Cables is currently recording and playing live.My apologies for wrongly quoting this in the post and thank you 2bad for bringing this to my attention.
ReplyDeleteThanks indeed for this, Steve — a great share.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work on your excellent blog!
All the best for 2012...
Amazing never seen before! Great Blog, Thanx!
ReplyDelete